- At your 5 year check up you had the following stats:
Weight 41.8lbs (64%) Height 3’9”(92%)
- You are such a compassionate girl…usually. The other day you came home with a sticker from your dentist appointment. When Zella showed interest in it you immediately offered for her to have it.
- Your hair has finally grown enough to where you have had two professional haircuts/trims. You went to mommy’s stylist and did pretty well both times. You still have your beautiful curls which makes doing your hair in the morning a breeze.
- We recently moved your car seat to the third row of both of our cars. Although being in the very back isn’t your favorite, you do a great job of climbing back there and getting your seat belt buckled by yourself.
- You are such a smart girl. You love writing names of family members and friends. You can recognize a few words when “reading” and have memorized the book “Diary of a Worm.”
-You have been in swim lessons for almost two years and are doing great!
- You can count to about 49 before you need help remembering what comes next. You also already know some small addition problems.
- Your best friends at school are a set of triplet girls. You talk about them all the time. Several months ago you started tearing up on our way home from school. I asked what was wrong and you said that you just realized that you wouldn’t be in school with the triplets next year. We talked about it and made it better but it is so sweet to me the way your little brain works.
- You are bossy. You can often be found telling your sister what she should be doing. We constantly have to remind you that you are not her mother.
- You are such a big helper. Your jobs around the house are to help feed the dogs, set the table for dinner, fold laundry, and help with cleaning. You love to help with your younger siblings as well. You grab pacifiers, throw away diapers, and sing to them when they are upset.
- When you get nervous or shy you usually put your hands up to your mouth. We are working hard on responding to adults when they speak to you and looking them in the eye. You are really outgoing with people you are close to but get uneasy around people who aren’t family or even large groups of kids. During show and share each Friday they record you in front of the class and you are always timid.
- You still LOVE music. You pick up on songs so quickly. Awhile ago you asked about the “Band-Aids song.” It took us a long time to figure out that you meant Bad Blood by Taylor Swift because it has a line that says “Band-Aids don’t fix bullet holes.”
- Your current favorite songs to have Alexa play over and over again are “Boomerang,” “Body Like a Back Road,” “Party Freeze Dance,” “Legends,” and “Ain’t Going Down Till the Sun Comes Up.”
- You get excited about going out to restaurants based on what drink you can order there. You love going to our favorite Mexican restaurant because you know they have fruit punch. When we ask where you want to go for dinner you usually say something like “Longhorn because I can get root beer” or “Red Robin because I can get a shake.” Oh your memory.
- You are going into Kindergarten this year. Mommy is so sad to see you grow up and not be in the same school as her. I am sure you will do great!
Little lady you are growing too quickly. I love you so much and am so proud of you. I constantly pray that you will continue to be such a compassionate and caring person. Thank you for making me a proud momma.
our new normal: 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs
We are about to enter week three of being a family of five. Our lives have changed so much since April 4th. For the first time Nathan and I are out numbered by kids in our house. At any given time there is at least one child or dog that needs your attention. It is chaos but it is beautiful.
I don’t know how to begin to express how much more complete our little family feels with the addition of Mr. Ryker Eugene. Sure there are times it means we are feeding a baby while putting a toddler to bed while repeatedly telling our five year old to brush her teeth but it just feels perfect. Perfect Chaos.
The chaos keeps everyday an adventure. This past Sunday, after almost no sleep due to a newborn and a toddler with four molars coming through we started getting ready an hour before church started. It felt like we were running a marathon against time with not a lot of energy. We were able to get all five of us ready (including four of us getting a shower) and make it to church with time to spare. This very little accomplishment made us feel like rock stars. We can do this. (Nathan and I definitely high fived in celebration on the way to church and even braved taking the kids out for dinner that night after an afternoon of family naps.)
Speaking of little accomplishments, I feel the need to report that at two weeks postpartum I was able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans…and still breath! This is huge! It took me six months to do this after having Bryn. I chalk this up to having two kids 20 months apart. Who knew chasing a toddler was so helpful in losing baby weight?!?
I am so thankful for my amazing husband who just happens to be a wonderful dad as well. I am also thankful for our girls who are such big helpers. One of my favorite things is to watch Bryn and Zella with Ryker. The other day the girls came home from school and while I was changing Ryker’s diaper Zella came up to him and leaned her head close to his saying, “It’s ok, Ryker.” Melts my heart!
Our life is certainly not a fairytale but it is pretty dang close. All of those moments that I want to bottle up and remember forever sure outweigh the times I want to pull my hair out.
We have been a family of five for over a week now.
Ryker Eugene was born at 5:22am on Wednesday, April 4th.
- You are talking up a storm! You say names of everyone in the family including the dogs. (You are very partial to your “Papa” and say his name everytime you see the iPad.) You say no, please, thank you, love you, and lots of foods such as bananas and cookies (“nookies”.)
- You are so rotten and love to do things you aren’t supposed to do. You even give a smile when you do them. You are going to give us a run for our money.
- We started you in your new room last month and in a full size bed! You do a wonderful job of going right to bed and staying in bed until morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- You now have 10 teeth. 6 on top and 4 on the bottom.
- You have started getting interested in the “potty.” You have yet to go on the potty but will ask to sit on it every now and then.
- You usually do a great job of playing with your older sister. You also help clean up and love to put things in the trash (even when they don’t belong there.)
- You started in a new classroom at school. Transitions are definitely not your favorite but you are doing a lot better. Mommy is hoping that all your anxiety passes before your baby brother gets here.
- You still love Minnie Mouse and constantly point her out.
- You get mean when you are tired.
- You can say lots of animal names and sounds.
- You fold hands to pray before dinner and say “Amy” at the end of our prayer. :)
You are so full of personality little girl! You fit into our family just perfect and I can’t imagine life without you. I can’t wait to see you as a big sister.
You are so very loved.