our new normal: 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs
We are about to enter week three of being a family of five. Our lives have changed so much since April 4th. For the first time Nathan and I are out numbered by kids in our house. At any given time there is at least one child or dog that needs your attention. It is chaos but it is beautiful.
I don’t know how to begin to express how much more complete our little family feels with the addition of Mr. Ryker Eugene. Sure there are times it means we are feeding a baby while putting a toddler to bed while repeatedly telling our five year old to brush her teeth but it just feels perfect. Perfect Chaos.
The chaos keeps everyday an adventure. This past Sunday, after almost no sleep due to a newborn and a toddler with four molars coming through we started getting ready an hour before church started. It felt like we were running a marathon against time with not a lot of energy. We were able to get all five of us ready (including four of us getting a shower) and make it to church with time to spare. This very little accomplishment made us feel like rock stars. We can do this. (Nathan and I definitely high fived in celebration on the way to church and even braved taking the kids out for dinner that night after an afternoon of family naps.)
Speaking of little accomplishments, I feel the need to report that at two weeks postpartum I was able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans…and still breath! This is huge! It took me six months to do this after having Bryn. I chalk this up to having two kids 20 months apart. Who knew chasing a toddler was so helpful in losing baby weight?!?
I am so thankful for my amazing husband who just happens to be a wonderful dad as well. I am also thankful for our girls who are such big helpers. One of my favorite things is to watch Bryn and Zella with Ryker. The other day the girls came home from school and while I was changing Ryker’s diaper Zella came up to him and leaned her head close to his saying, “It’s ok, Ryker.” Melts my heart!
Our life is certainly not a fairytale but it is pretty dang close. All of those moments that I want to bottle up and remember forever sure outweigh the times I want to pull my hair out.
We have been a family of five for over a week now.
Ryker Eugene was born at 5:22am on Wednesday, April 4th.
- You are talking up a storm! You say names of everyone in the family including the dogs. (You are very partial to your “Papa” and say his name everytime you see the iPad.) You say no, please, thank you, love you, and lots of foods such as bananas and cookies (“nookies”.)
- You are so rotten and love to do things you aren’t supposed to do. You even give a smile when you do them. You are going to give us a run for our money.
- We started you in your new room last month and in a full size bed! You do a wonderful job of going right to bed and staying in bed until morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- You now have 10 teeth. 6 on top and 4 on the bottom.
- You have started getting interested in the “potty.” You have yet to go on the potty but will ask to sit on it every now and then.
- You usually do a great job of playing with your older sister. You also help clean up and love to put things in the trash (even when they don’t belong there.)
- You started in a new classroom at school. Transitions are definitely not your favorite but you are doing a lot better. Mommy is hoping that all your anxiety passes before your baby brother gets here.
- You still love Minnie Mouse and constantly point her out.
- You get mean when you are tired.
- You can say lots of animal names and sounds.
- You fold hands to pray before dinner and say “Amy” at the end of our prayer. :)
You are so full of personality little girl! You fit into our family just perfect and I can’t imagine life without you. I can’t wait to see you as a big sister.
You are so very loved.
In my true blogger fashion, I am doing a catch up post. In the past few months I turned 30, Nathan had his last softball game of the year, Brynzlee has been attending her last school year at Primrose, and Zella turned 1 and recently has had 4 more teeth pop through (making for a whole 6 teeth now.)
To quote Dr. Seuss “But that is not all! Oh no, that is not all…”
In July we took a trip to Fort Morgan, AL, one of our favorite vacation spots. We had a blast spending time with my parents, grandparents, sister, and her BF, Michael. Zella loved walking on the beach and by the last day Bryn wasn’t terrified of the ocean any more…silly girl.
Right after returning from vacation, we were finally able to get our dream patio completed. We are so thankful for this space that allows us to fully enjoy our gorgeous back yard!
As our patio was being finished, we stumbled upon this dream home further out of town. This sparked lots of discussion and even an appointment with our relator to check out the home. The house sold the day before we were able to go see it.
Now if that alone doesn’t make you think we have lost it, this will. We have since been looking at houses and land online and even met with a custom home builder to look into options. We have been in our current house for only three years! Some days I think we have lost our minds but the thought of living out on some land close to town and having our kids grow up in a smaller school district is just too familiar and appealing. The good thing is we are in no rush to make any decisions.
To add to the crazy, on August 1st we found out we would be adding a third child into our bunch. We are so excited to be growing our family! Our 20 week ultrasound is next month. We can’t wait to see our healthy baby and find out if it is a he or she!
August was full of birthday party celebrations and spending time in the “new” play room. Once we had a patio to move our “dinning room table” to, we were able to make our formal dinning room a play room for the girls that gets used so much more!
September and October have been filled to the brim with time with friends and family. Last weekend Nathan and I, along with my BFF/SIL, became Godparents to our nephew, Maverick Jones. He is such a little blessing!
We also decided to book a last minute vacation to Disneyworld at the end of the year. We have never booked a trip like this only a few months out and the fact that my husband agreed to go back to Disneyworld with no nudging is a miracle in itself! December is going to be a whirlwind but hopefully it will all be worth it for our last vacay as a family of 4!
Here’s to hoping age is just a number and doesn’t make you lose your marbles. :)